Lest anyone get the wrong idea, NYE 2015 was not all about the subtleties of orange blossom water and cardamom– we all had some dranking to do, too.
I will consume just about any champagne cocktail put in front of me, so I was bound and determined to make a bubbly punch. Again- there wasn’t a whole lot of time for trial and error, so I thank the interwebs for providing once again–this time, a Sparkling Pomegranate Punch from Food & Wine. Per usual, there was a bit of a styling gap:
But here’s the great part– what my take on the punch lacked in style was SURELY made up for in taste and potency. So, there’s that.
In more stylish news, we had our very own Hipster Bartender, #1KnicksFanKef, who served up some strong cocktails with all the flair of a man dressed head to toe in Bonobos.
And then, suddenly, it was the New Year and all recipes went by the wayside:
Tomorrow: we’ll finally get to the cardamom cake that will change your life!
Sparkling Pomegranate Punch
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 c pomegranate seeds
- 3/4 c late-harvest white wine, such as late-harvest Riesling, chilled
- Ice cubes, for serving
- Two 750-milliliter bottles sparkling wine, chilled
- 3 TBS sugar (I did not include this and the punch was plenty sweet- you choose your own glycemic adventure)
- 1 c diced fresh pineapple (1/2 inch)
- 1 c pomegranate juice
- Dump all the ingredients together in whatever vessel you have available (alternatively: stylish place each little pomegranate seed and orange slice just where you’d like it before taking a beautiful picture and sharing it with the world). Let sit for about 30 minutes, then serve over ice.
- For refills: keep mixing whatever combination of wine and gin you’d like over the fermenting fruit– it’s great as a brunch drink!