How does the Familia Kef celebrate America’s birthday? We are pile into MamaKef’s kitchen, cut up lots of watermelon, and let the good times roll. (Editor’s Note: Hop down to the end if you’re only here for the pie.)
SummitKef joined in on the fun this year, and we introduced her to the very best treat- cupcake cones!
Things were a little less exciting for MrKef, who was befuddled by MamaKef’s final step for husking corn: the pastry brush.
(Apparently, it gets the fine hairs off.)
As usual, the food started coming and it didn’t stop coming. Please note the BEAUTIFUL cheese plate arranged by CafeKef:
not to mention our rendition of the stars and stripes (idea by yours truly, amazingly-improved execution by BabyKef):On a side note, is there a single city-dweller who is not SHOCKED by this price for Talenti gelato? SummitKef and I were trying to figure out an import-export scheme from Walden to DC, but sadly found that freezing options were profit prohibitive.
Okay, just ONE more thing until we get to the recipe–CELEBRATING THE BIRTH OF CAFEKEF! Although the official day is not until tomorrow, we’ve already celebrated twice. When you’re as wise, measured, and hilarious as CafeKef, you get to have a lot of celebrations. In addition to MamaKef’s cupcake cones and honey mustard chicken (a story for another day), I whipped up an easy and fun key lime cheesecake/pie (none of us could quite decide which it was) with a gluten-free pretzel crust. I finished it off with a little lime whipped cream, which I fashioned into some plate art (after fashioning lots of plate mess… genius takes time).
Note that the candles on that cake are topped with hearts, not flames. Also note that CafeKef blew out a QVC-issued flameless candle:
Okay, and now finally– the RECIPE! I got the original here.
Gluten-Free Key Lime Pretzel Pie
–For the Crust
- 2½ c gluten-free (or not) pretzel twists, finely ground
- ¼ c sugar
- ½ c unsalted butter, melted
—For the Filling
- 24 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1¼ c sugar
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 4 eggs
- ¾ c fresh key lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
—For the Whipped Cream
- 1½ c heavy cream
- 2 TBS powdered sugar
- lime zest to taste– I used about a TBS.
1. Combine ground pretzels, sugar, and butter. Shape into the bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 325F. Cream together the cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until well combined between each egg. Beat in lime juice and zest. Pour batter into prepared crust.
3. Bake for 70-80 minutes (mine took 80), or until middle is set. For an evenly-set pie, put a Pyrex 3/4 full of water on the rack below the one on which you set the pie. 4. For the whipped cream: whip cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in zest.
5. Garnish pie with whipped cream. Pie is served best cold, per MamaKef.