Five for Friday: Indoor Workouts

30 Jan

January has come and gone, which means 1.5 more months of winter (fingers crossed) for DC. Come on, Spring! It’s Friday and I’m linking up with Cynthia, Courtney, and Mar for a Friday Five Link Up. (Said another way: it’s Friday and I’m avoiding studying for my impending pharmacology midterm. Blech.)

This is what happens when you google image “winter fitness,” in case you were wondering.

Back around my birthday, I wrote about some new goals for increasing strength, flexibility, and agility by taking more classes– here are some of the indoor workouts that have helped me achieve these goals.

1. YogaDownload.com – I wrote about this last year, when it seemed like we’d never leave the house again after the 18th snowday last winter. Back then I was really into Dawnelle Arthur’s classes, and these days I’m taking a lot of the Rockin’ Bhakti classes with fun names like “Kick Your Asana.”

2. SolidCore–I have said it before and I will say it a million more times– SolidCore is the best cross training I’ve ever done. I have gained tons of strength in those stabilizing muscles that are so crucial to injury-free running, plus it’s fun and a never-ending challenge. PS- If you live in Old Town and want a FREE class, email me at cookingupkefi[at]gmail[dot]com and I will hook you up! They are opening an Alexandria location and want to give you a preview!

3. AfroFunk — a small-but-mighty little studio just opened two blocks up the street from my house, and I have loved the variety of dance, barre, and Pilates classes there. Dee opened up the studio after losing an amazing 300 lbs(!) and is still going strong. Her kickboxing had my arms so shredded that it was tough to type the next day, and The AfroFunk class keeps my heart rate high and my thighs burning! Right now you can get 10 classes for $55 (excluding Pilates Reformer classes), which is a ridiculously-good deal.

4. Spinning— this is kind of a nobrainer. But, if you’re in DC and can make it, try and check out Arthur’s 630 on Monday class–he is NOT playing with his music or his instruction.

5. The 12-Minute Athlete — file this under “things we should have thought of before.” This web site puts together 12-minute circuits and you can search by equipment, target area, or even choose neighbor-friendly circuits if you’re in an apartment like me.

What are you favorites? And who’s going to sweat through SolidCore with me?

10 Responses to “Five for Friday: Indoor Workouts”

1. Mar on the Run! January 30, 2015 at 8:05 am #

Thanks for linking up with us! I wouldwould totally check out Solid Core with you!! I haven’t tried afrofunk but recently took a class at From the Core which was fun and intense!

• cookingupkefi February 2, 2015 at 7:53 am #

Amazing- just moved the convo to a twitter DM (which I think I tagged you in… but I’m twitter naive). I LOVED From the Core and am so glad it’s in my neighborhood!

2. Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner January 30, 2015 at 8:24 am #

Always fun to meet other DC bloggers and connect with them. Lets stay in touch and maybe hit solidcore together!

• cookingupkefi February 2, 2015 at 7:52 am #

Absolutely! Do you live in Nova? That studio is, by far, the fanciest and I’d love to meet you out there!

3. Lacey@fairytalesandfitness January 30, 2015 at 10:23 am #

Oh my gosh! That pic is too funny. I am surethere are crazy ppl out there that still run in that nonsense. That solidcore sounds like a great workout. Wish I lived in the area to try it out.

• cookingupkefi February 2, 2015 at 7:47 am #

You know- I have seen people running in even LESS out there. Runners are an awesome bunch… a crazy, psychotic, delusional, but awesome bunch!

4. Eat Pray Run, DC January 30, 2015 at 4:26 pm #

hmmm…do you have to live in old town to try solidcore? i live on cap hill but would LOVE to try a class out 😉

• cookingupkefi January 31, 2015 at 12:06 am #

Sadly theyre doing an Old Town-only promotion to get psyched for yhr new OT studio- but now that you work from home, you should totally come to an offpeak class with me- tuesday with erica near union station! The OP ones are a bit cheaper

5. Crazy runner girl January 30, 2015 at 6:18 pm #

Thanks for the great at home video suggestions! Can’t wait to give them a try!