Ed Note: Today we’ve got an awesome no-noodle pasta from Katie Garibaldi, a San Francisco-based singer who’s a little bit country and a little bit soul, and definitely worth checking out. She’s a healthy eater after my own heart, and I’m thrilled to feature her recipe here! For more gluten free noodle ideas, refer back to these CuK favorites: butternut squash spaghetti and protein-packed blackbean noodles.
I’ve always considered myself a pretty health-conscious person and started experimenting with cooking more nutritious recipes that didn’t include gluten or dairy. Problem is, my husband and I love pasta. Gluten-free pasta noodles are available in the stores, but as I started eating more and more clean foods, even those began to seem heavy and unappealing. In researching healthy recipes, I stumbled upon a technique of using a vegetable peeler to peel zucchini and use those as pasta noodles. I thought it was brilliant: a pasta dish without all the heavy grains! So I experimented with different veggies and ingredients. Really, the combinations are endless. In this recipe, I use zucchini and carrots for the pasta, and mushrooms, broccoli, and tomatoes for the “meat” of the dish. The sauce is a healthy pesto sauce that’s very easy and quick to make. This dish is packed with vegetables and nutrients, and the best part is you get full without feeling heavy and bloated—just clean and satisfied.
Katie Garibaldi recently unveiled her seventh full-length release of all new compositions since her award winning Next Ride Out in 2009. Brent Black of criticaljazz.com calls Follow Your Heart, “Americana music that transcends genre and geographic location,” in his five-star review of the album. When not performing and recording, Garibaldi can be found researching and creating healthy and personalized recipes for herself and her new husband.
Katie’s Veggie No-Noodle Pasta
- 2 c cilantro
- 2 TBS raw sunflower seeds
- 3 TBS raw cashews
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp tamari
- ½ c olive oil
Veggie No-Noodle Pasta (serve with pesto sauce):
- 1 c sliced mushrooms
- 2 c broccoli florets
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 c cherry tomatoes
- 2 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- Garnish: shredded cabbage
1. To make the pesto sauce: Blend the cilantro, sunflower seeds, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and tamari in a food processor until finely chopped. Blend in the olive oil until smooth. Put aside until ready to serve with meal.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a non-stick baking sheet. Put the sliced mushrooms and broccoli florets in a bowl with the olive oil and sea salt. Toss to coat. Transfer them to the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Halfway through baking time, add the cherry tomatoes.
3. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini and carrots into “pasta noodles” and put them in the same bowl you used earlier (for the mushrooms and broccoli) to coat them in the leftover olive oil. Toss to mix up the pasta and set aside.
4. Place the pasta on two dishes and top with the roasted vegetables. Drizzle the pesto sauce on top, and garnish with shredded cabbage for added crunch. Serve and enjoy!