I’m gonna have to be brief here: I am typing only with one hand because the other is busy eating these incredible treats. I’m quite certain these recipes make enough for 6, but feel free to make it a single serving of Kefi.
Butternut Squash Lasagne
- 1 butternut squash, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 10 mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup myzithra cheese (feel free to use more or sub a non-Greek cheese)
- olive oil
1. Cut the squash into quarters: first lengthwise, than widthwise. Next, cut the squash into slabs about 1/2 inch thick (stand up each quarter squash and cut it height-wise). Set aside.
2. Dice garlic and onion, saute in olive oil until fragrant (about 3 min). Add mushrooms, cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat, add in tomato sauce and stir around.
3. Put about 1/4 cup of tomato sauce in bottom of pan. Make 1 layer of squash slabs, then sprinkle some cheese over top. Continue until you have used up all the squash and sauce. The last layer should be sauce. Dash some more olive oil on there for good measure, if you feel so inclined (I did!)
4. Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes, or until top is browned. Take out of oven and let sit for about 25 minutes– believe me, it is worth the wait.
Homemade Chocolate Lara Bars
- 6-8 medjool figs
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 2 c pistachios, shelled
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
1. Coarsely chop and pit figs. Puree in food processor with pumpkin and eggs. Put mixture in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Don’t bother cleaning out the food processor- throw remaining ingredients in and grind it all up.
3. Mix dry and wet mixture until full combined.
4. On a lipped 9×9 baking sheet, spread parchment paper. Then, spread mixture across the pan. Keep mixture about 1/2inch thick- it does not need to go across the whole pan. Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes, or until top is starting to brown and center is set. Let stand about 30 minutes, then cut into “bars” and enjoy. You can also freeze these bad boys to enjoy later!